TO CATCH YOU UP TO SPEED...

HOW OUR BLOG BEGAN, in AUGUST 2010: As many of you know, Phil has been struggling with a very complex series of neurological issues for about 5 years. This past spring, the issues became especially intense as a result of an unexpected cognitive decline and a fall on May 15th that resulted in a head injury and further decline. And then, on July 16th things catapulted to unbelievable, as Phil suffered from a severe "electrical storm" in his brain that essentially created a status of brain death for two full days. Inexplicably, the very morning that neurologists and other medical team members were planning removal of life support, Phil began breathing on his own and his brain waves returned to a stable, while still abnormal, level. Since then, each day has been a unique journey. And while he and his body continue to demonstrate a will and capacity to live, he continues to have severe deficits and it is quite uncertain as to the path he will take. As loved ones close in can attest to, it has been tricky to keep up emotionally with all of his changes, and provide the needed support. We can only imagine the hard work Phil has gone through as his brain has taken him through such roller coaster experiences. It is our goal here to keep family and close friends apprised of Phil's ongoing story, and to build connections that honor him.

AND THEN, SEPTEMBER 11, 2010....Dad's remarkable journey alongside us culminated in a gentle, generous death.

And so, my goal here now as his daughter is simply this: to record snippets...pieces of his life that my memory offers back to me, pieces of myself as I learn to live without a dad. I hope all who meander by find life, and hope, and peace.

Friday, September 10, 2010

perhaps today is the day

we just got a call from the ryan house that dad's closure here on earth could be anytime.  his blood is no longer traveling to his extremities.  we will keep you posted.  please keep dad in your prayers, that his transition will be as smooth as it is meant to be.

love to all,
k.

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you, Cheryl is on her way. May God's peace overflow in your hearts.

    Pls keep us posted, love to all,
    Sherri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you and the rest of the family today.
    Love you,
    Linde

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys-
    I am so sad at the loss you will have, and yet, on the other hand, I'm envious of what is in store for your dad at any moment now. You know how I have made many declarations that I am just going to sit on my couch and wait for the second coming (or as my beloved jewish psych. asked me "the second coming of what?"), and that that really hasn't worked out too well for me so far. Just like one of my favorite songs says "I can only imagine...when He is before me...surrounded by His Glory...will I dance for you Jesus, or will I fall down on my knees??...." I will be singing that at the top of my lungs for your dad when he goes HOME! And I will be down here with you, grieving for your loss, and being your shoulder (or couch) that you can finally break down on and let all of that strength and fortitude you've kept up with since May, GO! I love you so very much Karen....Jen

    ReplyDelete